Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to Evaluate Sources
Anyone can publish on the internet; be selective.
The domain name gives some indication of the source and intended audience of a web address.
- .com - generally a commercial site
- .edu - educational institutions
- .gov - U.S. government
- .org - organizations (some non-profit)
- .int - international organizations
- .mil - U.S. military organizations
- .net - catch-all for sites not using .com, open to anyone (some administrative sites)
- .biz - usually intended for businesses
- .info - another catch-all, open to anyone
IANA Root Zone Database maintains details about top level domain names