|PRIMARY SOURCES||vs||SECONDARY SOURCES|
- Based on first-hand, personal experience.
- Author experienced or witnessed event.
- Usually written at the same time or shortly after the event occurred.
- Generally does not include compilation/analysis of other sources.
- Original scientific research; experiment or study conducted by the author.
- Factual rather than interpretive.
- Based on second-hand information.
- Author did NOT witness the event.
- Usually written somewhat later or much later after the event occurred.
- Interprets primary sources, often many together, draws conclusions.
- Compilation, discussion, analysis, or criticism of scientific research by others.
- Analyzes and interprets.
Content courtesy of Erin Cassidy, Sam Houston State University Library 2013
Content courtest of Erin Cassidy, Sam Houston State University Library 2013